News: AW Attorney Aimee Wagstaff makes MDL history as Court appoints her National Co-Lead Counsel of the Ethicon Morcellator MDL with a PSC comprised of majority women!
In 2010, Aimee became a founding partner of Andrus Wagstaff. Currently, she enjoys a thriving civil litigation practice with an emphasis in professional liability, products liability, mass torts, sports law, drug and medical device litigation, commercial litigation, and personal injury cases. Aimee has extensive trial experience.
In 2015, Aimee made MDL history when the Honorable Judge Kathryn H. Vratil appointed her to serve as Co-Lead counsel of the first ever majority women MDL PSC – MDL 2652: In Re: Ethicon, Inc., Power Morcellator Products Liability Litigation, situated in the United States District Court for the District of Kansas. The morcellator litigation involves women and their families all over the United States who have been diagnosed with devastating and permanent injuries, including leiomyosacroma (“LMS,” a deadly form of cancer), following the use of Ethicon’s power morcellator during a fibroid removal or hysterectomy surgery.
Recently, the Honorable Judge Highberger appointed Aimee to serve on the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee of JCCP 4775: In Re Risperdal Product Liability Case, situated in Los Angeles County, California. To date, hundreds of cases have been filed in JCCP 4775 alleging Risperdal and/or Invega caused boys and young men to suffer from gynecomastia.
Additionally, the Honorable Joseph R. Goodwin, Chief Judge, United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, recently appointed Aimee to serve on the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee of: (1) MDL 2187: In Re C.R. Bard, Inc, Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation; (2) MDL 2325: In Re American Medical Systems, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation Repair; (3) MDL 2326: In Re Boston Scientific Corporation, Pelvic Repair System products Liability Litigation; (4) MDL 2327: In Re Ethicon, Inc, Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation; (5) MDL 2387: In Re Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Product Liability Litigation; (6) MDL 2440: In Re Cook Medical, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Product Liability Litigation; and (7) MDL: 2511 In Re Neomedic Pelvic Repair System Product Liability Litigation (collectively, TVM MDLs). Judge Goodwin also appointed Aimee to serve on the 8 member national executive committee overseeing the TVM MDLs and to serve as national co-lead of MDL 2326 against Boston Scientific Corporation. To date, Juries across the County, in several different jurisdictions have awarded TVM Plaintiffs over $240,000,000.00. Aimee was part of the trial team against Boston Scientific wherein a jury from the Southern District of West Virginia awarded 4 TVM Plaintiffs $18,500,000.00 after determining that Boston Scientific's Obtryx product was defectively designed.
Aimee was appointed Plaintiffs' co-lead counsel of the Judicial Council Coordinated Proceedings (JCCP) 4615 In Re: Infusion Pump Cases by the Honorable Judge Andler in the Superior Court of California, County of Orange. JCCP 4615 is a products liability proceeding (failure to warn) against several medical device manufacturers after several hundred patients developed chondrolysis following the placement of a pain pump catheter after shoulder surgery.
In March 2013, Aimee founded and hosted the first annual "Women En Mass" retreat that was held in Aspen, Colorado. WEM is an annual working retreat for amazing women in mass torts -- a time to relax and enjoy each other's company while creating new, and fostering old, relationships. If you are interested in attending, check out WEM's website at www.WomenEnMass.com or contact Aimee directly, she would love to include you on the next invite/distribution list. If you are a social media type, "Like" Women En Mass on Facebook.
Prior to founding AW, Aimee gained invaluable experience with the defense bar as she billed countless hours working as a green associate for a large defense firm. Aimee earned her undergraduate degree in Marine Science and Communications from the University of San Diego, where she played on the women's soccer team. After receiving her law degree from the University of Denver, Aimee became actively involved in the Colorado and Denver Bar Associations.
Aimee is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts of Colorado and California. And, in January 2011, Aimee was sworn into the United States Supreme Court in Washington, D.C.Recent Success Stories
Recent Success Stories
$18,500,000.00 BSC TVM Verdict: Boston Scientific gets slammed with huge verdict. AW Partner Aimee Wagstaff was an integral part of the trial team that represented 4 Plaintiffs who were injured after being implanted with Boston Scientific's Obtryx product. After a month trial in the Southern District of West Virginia, the trial team secured a verdict of 18.5 Million dollars, including punitive damages after the jury found the Obtryx product was defective and Boston Scientific failed to warn the doctors. The trial was held before the Honorable Irene Berger.
HUGE Boston Scientific TVM Verdicts: AW Partner Aimee Wagstaff serves as National co-lead counsel of the TVM MDL against Boston Scientific. Currently, juries across the Country have awarded Boston Scientific Plaintiffs in excess of $118,000,000.00.
1.6 Billion in Settlements and over 135 Million in TVM Verdicts: AW Partner Aimee Wagstaff serves on the 8 person Executive Committee overseeing all federal TVM litigation. To date, Defendants have pledged over 1.6 Billion dollars in resolution monies and juries across the land have awarded over $135,000,000.00 in verdicts to TVM Plaintiffs.
Memberships (Past and Current)
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice (formerly, American Trial Lawyers Association)
Education & Recognition
November 4, 2015: Aimee Wagstaff quoted in the following article regarding FDA classification of Zofran as a Category B drug: Daily Beast article.
November 2015: Aimee Wagstaff makes MDL history as Court appoints her National Co-Lead Counsel of the Ethicon Morcellator MDL with a PSC comprised of majority women.
2015 Article - "Empowering Women in Mass Torts" - American Association for Justice.
2014 Article - "Blazing Through Mass Torts" - American Association for Justice.
2013 National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys
“Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorney Award” For excellence in the field of Personal injury
2010 Finalist -" Up and Coming Lawyers" - Law Week Colorado.
J.D., University of Denver Sturm College of Law
B.A., University of San Diego
- Harris Martin MDL Conference- Pharmaceutical Update; New Orleans, Louisiana; December 2, 2015.
- American Association for Justice ("AAJ") National Convention - Transvaginal Mesh; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; July 12, 2015.
- HM's Lumber Liquidators Flooring Litigation Conference - Is there a Personal Injury Case? - Minneapolis, Minnesota; May 27, 2015.
- Mass Tort Med School 2: Boot Camp; Boca Raton, Florida; May 6-7, 2015.
- HM's MDL Conference - Xarelto, Morcellators & Emerging Torts - (1) Power Morcellator Science and Liability Issues; (2) Litigation Updates - Transvaginal Mesh, Low T, Risperdal, Talc and Fluoroquinolones (FLQ); and (3) Zofran - San Diego, California; March 25, 2015.
- American Association for Justice ("AAJ") - Power Morcellator Litigation Webinar - February 11, 2015.
- American Association for Justice ("AAJ") - Plaintiff-Only Hot Topics and Trends in Litigation; Miami, Florida; January 28, 2015.
- American Association for Justice ("AAJ") National Convention - Transvaginal Mesh; Baltimore, Maryland; July 28, 2014.
- Mass Tort Med School: Boot Camp; Boca Raton, Florida; May 7-9, 2014.
- Guest Professor, The University of Texas School of Law - Using Documents in Regard to Pretrial and Trial Strategy; Austin, Texas; February 20, 2014 & February 26, 2015
- American Association for Justice ("AAJ") National Convention - Case management Strategies; San Francisco, California; July 20, 2013
- Plaintiff Pharma Forum Seminar, Transvaginal Mesh - Where We've Been; Where We're Going, Los Angeles, California; March 15, 2013
- Women En Mass -Founder/Host, Aspen, Colorado - March 4-5, 2013.
- AAJ Plaintiff-only Pharmaceuticals & Medical Device Litigation Update Seminar, Transvaginal Mesh, Orlando, Florida; January 30, 2013.
- Plaintiff Forum on Pharmaceutical Litigation - Transvaginal Mesh, Actos & Orthopedic Devices, TVM: Products, Medicine and More, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; October 5, 2012.
- Rock Starts of Mass Torts, TVM: No Longer Suffering in Silence, Pensacola, Florida; September 21, 2012.
- Mass Tort Strategies: Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Litigation, Trump International, Chicago, Illinois; May 21, 2012.
- MDL Conference: Transvaginal Mesh and ACTOS Litigation, Claims & Defenses, Miami, Florida; January 25, 2012.
- Transvaginal Mesh Litigation Conference, TVM: Alleged Patient Injuries and Related Therapies/Treatments, Amelia Island, Florida; October 4, 2011.
- NJ Pelvic Mesh Workshop, Medical Device Law, Atlantic City, New Jersey; September 14, 2011.
- Avandia and Rosiglitazone Re-Examined, HB Litigation Conferences; April 21, 2010.
- Shoulder Pain Pump Litigation,HB Litigation Conferences; January 13, 2010.